Open Space in 60 minutes

Worsley, Stuart sworsley at snvworld.org
Wed Apr 2 23:48:05 PDT 2008

I undertook an OS session for 2 hours last week. We had two iterations
and no convergance, were able to initiate and close. The group felt
energised and commended the process even though it was a first for many.
For me, the trick is getting 15 minutes ahead of time to prepare the
banner question/statement, arranging the circle, a blank wall for the
market place, and a couple of posters to keep the principles up there.
Also, starting with a walk around the circle getting participants to
find one another's eyes - for a moment - is a very good way to
immediately change the mood and focus the group.

The results were great. The session was undertaken following an
appraisal of the tourist sector as a pro poor development vector. A
consultant had presented a lot of findings that included a lot of
assumptions. The group, under the banner question "what must we do to
enhance tourism as a potent instrument of poverty alleviation in Kenya",
formed a series of recommendations that is now being used to guide the
consultant into new enquiry, or to form addition report recommendations.

Stuart

Stuart Worsley

SNV - The Netherlands Development Organisation

Email: sworsley at snvworld.org

Web: www.snvworld.org