struggling with a client to create time and space (rather long)

Beverley Neff bev at cariboolinks.com
Wed Apr 2 03:56:51 PDT 2008

Hi Gerardo,

I'd reassure the client that whoever shows up are the right people,
and they will do the work that matters to them in their own time. I'd
open space as you have advertised at 3 p.m. for ALL the time slots.
If/when people come later, they will add to the market place and
quickly figure out the process. Trust the people, as Harrison says --
if they care about the issue they'll deal with it whether they can be
there the whole time or not. Your job is to hold that knowledge and
keep the space open.

Both last March and this March I hosted a 1 1/2 day community
gathering in open space here (on Saturna Island, on the west coast of
Canada) and there are always concerns about who can't or won't
attend. In the end, those who care get there, find the space open for
good work, and leave delighted at what they have explored and
accomplished together. The effects ripple out to the rest of the
community and the work continues there...

Good luck, Gerardo. I look forward to hearing the rest of the story!

Best regards,
Beverley Neff
Saturna Island,  BC Canada