Nexus for Change

Holger Nauheimer (Change Facilitation) holger at CHANGE-FACILITATION.ORG
Wed Apr 9 14:58:43 PDT 2008

It took me a while to digest my experiences at the Nexus for Change
conference, and I had some temporary problems of posting on this list.

I am surprised that nobody else posted reports on this extraordinary event
here in this list. During the Nexus conference, I posted a couple of
articles on my blog: http://www.change-management-blog.com/.

Some of the highlights include:

The conference started with an exciting exercise facilitated by Sandra
Janoff (Future Search Network): She facilitated a time line which allowed
us to look at the fourty years history of the Whole Systems Change
Movement. I have filmed the storyline and published it as a three part
video on YouTube (will publish it as a one part movie on Google video
tonight - watch my blog). Watch 20 minutes of collective memory of 80
folks who were part of this history, told by Barbara Bunker, Dick Axelrod,
Peggy Holman and others:

http://www.change-management-blog.com/2008/04/story-of-change-told-at-
nexus.html

Further, there is an audio interview with Steve Cady and Emily Axelrod on
the future of Nexus:
http://www.change-management-blog.com/2008/04/nexus-provides-space-to-
explore.html

My summary of the event?

It was good to connect with many people in a short time. In 2007, Nexus
started with the idea of convening those people who live the content of
Peggy Holman’s, Steve Cady’s and Tom Devane’s Change Handbook. It is good
to be reassured that those folks share a systemic and a humanistic
perspective. So, in essence, a movement has emerged which needs to grow
and to mature.

Do we need such a forum? Absolutely yes. Will it become a self-organizing
system, a super-network of networks? I am not so sure. But I hope. Future
will tell.

It is not yet entirely clear what kind of child has been given birth to in
2007. What is Nexus actually? Does Nexus deal with large systems change
only, or with change in general (which would include personal
transformation, coaching, systemic team development methods etc.)? Is
Nexus a movement of systems thinkers? Who is invited? Who is not invited?
If Nexus is inclusive of anybody, are there any boundaries? Is it a global
or basically an American network which warmly welcomes guests from abroad?

It is good that these questions aren’t answered yet because this increases
the inclusivity of the network and the curiosity of those who show up.
But – as the Open Space movement and other informal networks have shown,
time will come when these questions are looking for their answers.

Best,
Holger Nauheimer
Change Facilitation
Global Network for Exploring, Creating, and Celebrating Change