1-minute podcast summary of OS

John Engle john at johnengle.net
Fri Apr 11 19:00:07 PDT 2008

Dear fellow listers,

I've been working with an innovative company that does four conferences annually. Attendance ranges from 500 to 1,100.

For a multitude of reasons, organizers are not interested in using pure OS (open space) for any of their conferences. But, they are extremely interested in creating some opportunity for participants and speakers to self-organize.

We experimented during their December conference with a bit of OS. About 50-60 of the 500 attendees made use of the OS sessions. Many more browsed the area to look at topics and check it out. Given constraints and challenges, conference organizers were satisfied with results and decided to experiment with OS in their four conferences this year. They also decided to be more intentional about promoting it.

Click here to listen to podcast promoting OS for their May conference:
 http://www.stickyminds.com/ControlImages/StickyMinds/Image/Podcast/Audio/John_Engle_STAREAST_2008_blurb.mp3

 Click here to see how OS is presented on conference website:
 http://www.sqe.com/STAREAST/Events/Default.aspx

All things considered I proposed to organizers that we do away with opening and closing circle.  Am I a heretic? I also proposed that we might consider calling it something different but organizers really like the "open space" label. At the conference, I'll take about 5-7 minutes before a keynote speaker to explain to 800+ people how our "open space" will work and where to find me. Then, I'll just hang out for two days hosting the space.

All the principles along with the law will be posted. And of-course, there will be a bulletin board where people post topics.

So, is this an innovative way to invite self-organization into a traditional conference? Am I a heretic in still calling it open space?

What am I missing?

I welcome your thoughts.

I don't take for granted the beauty of being able to use a somewhat recognized term--"open space"--and having the liberty to adapt it to a particular context. Equally if not more significant, this message will reach hundreds of insightful people in a multitude of countries who shape the way I think.

Harrison, your approach to leadership continues to stimulate and inspire me.

With gratitude,

John Engle

www.johnengle.net
www.circlesofchange.com