Craig

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Mon Oct 22 12:22:23 PDT 2007

Hello Craig,

I have a few things to add.

2.	Actually most spaces in my experience are rectangular rather than
square, meaning  either circles with additional chairs on the short
side,
	or a double/triple etc ellips.
	If it's circles for 110 participants, in my experience that's roughly
50 in the inner, 70 in the outer circle- in the inner more chairs left
out to allow
	participants in the outer circle to get to the centre.
	If it's ellipses, the difference between outer and inner circle is
smaller as the longer side of the ellips is identical on inner and
outer side.

3.	I, too tend to work with 1 hour 15 time slots. However it also
depends on the kind of participants; some groups are faster than
others.
	Fast (I am still prepared to be surprised): policemen, doctors/nurses
(surgeons rather than internal medicine/neurology); but also farmers,
	web designers and the like.
	Slow: researchers, government agencies, NGO's (surprisingly even those
involved in disaster management after the Tsunami in Indonesia
	were slow ........

4.	I find the issue what question to ask in the closing circle very
interesting.  I used to ask to say the most important people had to
say.
	Then I had a couple of one day OS's with quite a specific issue, such
as "What are the three strategic options the Board of our hospital
should
	investigate further" and I'd ask a more specific question. Seems to
make no difference.
	As for time, in my experience when the purpose is clear and the time
available is clear, groups will self-organise to do what they have to
do within
	that frame. The more people, the less time and the more consultants
and the like, the more I tend to be precise about purpose, time frame
and
	respect for this.

Have a great meeting !!

Gerard Muller

Open Space Institute Denmark
Phone: (+45) 21269621					Skype: openspace1
Mail: gm at openspace.dk