1. Evolution, 2. Kurds

funda oral fundaoral2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 01:54:36 PDT 2007

We are calling into being our collective soul so that our
many-storied world can find its way and each and everyone one of us
has our roles to play in it.

  Another perspective is that we are all together creating our collective soul playing the roles  we all have. Whether we are aware or not, whether we feel accepted or not, we all have a role and are playing here and now....

  The challenge is... so what?.... then, where to go?

  This is the question we ask when we open the space. I see this as an inquiry rather then a confirmation of our roles.

  Funda

Ralph Copleman <rcopleman at comcast.net> wrote:
  1.  Peggy Holman wrote...

  We are calling into being our collective soul so that our
many-storied world can find its way and each and everyone one of us
has our roles to play in it.

I like this.  For a long time now, open space has seemed to me the closest we have to evolution as a meeting format.

2.  Susan Coleman’s story of the Kurds in New York did include me as one of the holders of the space for the final two days of Susan’s five-day event.  I want to add two facts not mentioned in the version of the story Peggy reproduced on this list.

   First, most of the participants spoke no English, and neither Susan nor I speak Kurdish or Arabic.  We had a very helpful translator.  He helped us produce the necessary flip chart pages (in both languages), etc. and was obviously crucial.  One effect of the language “barrier” was that Susan and I sat through evening news and morning announcements with few clues as to what folks we’re saying.  We smiled a lot.
   Susan is more than a little amazing.  Consider this: at the time we did the event, Susan had never been in open space and had never even seen open space.  She gets my all-time award for most courageous consultant.  There was a lot on the line for her personally, for Columbia, and others.  I had nothing to lose; I knew what role I was playing and what I had to do, but Susan was in an open space within an open space that was hers alone to occupy.  Picture us sitting there together that first day, with an empty open space circle.  She kept asking, “This is okay, right?”  And I kept on answering (because there was nothing else one could say), “Sure.”

Ralph Copleman * * ========================================================== OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist