FW: Is Anybody Home?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Oct 10 14:19:09 PDT 2007

From: kiwipioneer at farmside.co.nz [mailto:kiwipioneer at farmside.co.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:06 PM
To: hhowen at verizon.net
Subject: Re: Is Anybody Home?

G'day Harrison

Nice to receive your message. I'm in the opposite state here as the days
lengthen and warm up; which is bloody nice!

I have been doing an OST with our local council and with local body
elections this weekend I may be doing a workshop with the newly elected
council. The main reason really is to begin conversations between them and
seek greater cohesiveness. Elected councillors see it as their role I think
to be adverserial often to the detriment of common pupose; usual stuff of
egos and point scoring.

Anyway I am in the throes also of having chemotherapy which I don't have to
tell you allows me real vision as to what is important in my life!  The open
space I did with the council staff prior to the election went the best of
any I've ever been involved with. Ofcourse not because of me but inspite of
me. It was a salutary lesson in less is more and letting go the outcome of
the day. I think I made a giant leap to realising that other than ensuring
logistics were organised and holding the space whatever happens is out of my

hands. I can't tell you how freeing this has been and actually has increased

my confidence for my next workshops.

So chemo has been a gift of sorts. Me who thought I was God's gift to
facilitation has stuggled to grasp the concept of  doing less. Maybe in
action but not in what has been going on in my head.

I've actually had chemo therapy thirteen years ago and at that time found
this quote which has more or less become the theme of my life:

I have been summoned to explore a desert area of man's heart
in which explainations no longer suffice,
and in which one learns that only experience counts

Thomas Merton - Hidden Ground of Love.

All the best
Mike Copeland