Introducing OST for strategic planning - Question

Susan M Kerr Smkerr7 at aol.com
Thu Oct 11 05:35:32 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have experience with using OST for strategic planning for an
organization? If so, how did you would you introduce it to the leaders of the
organization in order to use it for this?

I'm not new to this list but still new to using OST. While I've experienced
it Harrison, Michael H, and others, I haven't experienced it within an
organization for problem solving. My role in my company is to manage training  for
one small section of the company (700 employees out of 26,000) and I have  only
used parts of OST or on a very small scale.

Yesterday out of the blue, the VP of Org Dev called me to ask me if I
thought OST could be used at their upcoming strategic planning meeting where 20  -
30 strategic leaders will be meeting for 1 day I believe. He asked me if I
would be willing to meet with himself and one other leader responsible to plan
this meeting to explain what OST is and how it could be used for this. He
specifically asked for:

What OST is
How OST can be used
What could work for strategic planning
What might not work

The "wrench" he threw into it that I don't quite know what to do with is
that they are considering bringing in "experts" in social trends  and
healthcare/business trends to present to this group of strategic  planners and allow them
time for Q&A of these experts. Then there would be  time for priority
setting/developing the strategic plan. He was thinking of OST  for the latter phase.

I welcome any thoughts or coaching from this group! I followed some of the
recent conversations on "experts" in OST sessions and understand that purpose
of  holding two day open space (I think I do, anyway) but am not sure if it
could be  accomplished in one day and if this is a situation to use it in or not.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing from you.
Peace,
Susan