Full participation and OS

Irv Sheffey irv.sheffey at sierraclub.org
Wed Oct 10 18:52:44 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

Got a question related to my first OST conference.

Invitations have gone out to several stakeholders for a two day conference
and we are beginning to get responses.  Aside from those who expressed that
they cannot attend, we've been getting some that indicate that they can only
come to the first day (we expressed the strong desire/need for full
attendance).  Realizing that "whoever comes is the right people", by
inference I guess whenever they come is the right time (for them).  In light
that the first day of an OS event usually shakes outs the questions and day
two begins the process of action planning, what do you think about people
only participating in only one phase?

My thought, in the spirit of "whatever happens is the only thing that could
have" is simply that.  Those who attend the full conference will have the
potential experience and opportunity to be fully expressed, those who can
only attend day one will contribute what they can, in effect giving others
their proxy to build on what they've provided.

I would think that in the world of OS, what I've described is not the first
time such has happened.  My question - is there anything that I should BE
about or DO in preparing for and facilitating this forthcoming meeting?  My
first take, is to hold the space for a productive meeting, encouraging full
participation, but not get hung up on this issue.  Thanks for any feed back
you might have.

Irv

Irv Sheffey

Environmental Justice Organizer