Just Do It / Make it Happen - Story of an Open Space

Communications Esther Matte ematte at excellence.ca
Fri Nov 23 09:15:49 PST 2007

Great, great story Judy! Thanks for sharing it.
You made me laugh too with the high heels and the pantyhose :-)

Esther

At 11:33 2007-11-23, you wrote:

>In keeping with the vein of  ‘Just Do It and
>resources will appear’ (formerly Finding Funding
>for Community Work), this is a report on an Open
>Space event I facilitated this week wherein, I
>‘Just Did It’ and
 resources appeared (or will appear).

> [...]
>Larry Peterson and Birgitt Williams.  At the
>time, I was an Organizational
>Development/Training and Development type
>working for a large prestigious (at the time) multinational corporation.
>

>I had just spent a year of my life working for a
>Type A micromanager (who was located in
>Australia) planning, organization and
>implementing a series of conferences for the
>senior level executives outside of North
>American.  It was a huge and cumbersome project.
>I was on the phone 24-7. I spent thousands of
>company dollars – doing a detailed needs
>assessment, designing workshops, hiring
>facilitators around the world, and managing the
>onsite logistics in four international
>locations.  All while playing the role of group
>psychologist and attempting to manage the
>emotional roller coaster inherent in a
>micromanaged, remote team. While the hotels were
>nice and the food was good, at the end of the
>day (or month or year), most people involved
>(participants, sponsors, organizing team) would
>say (provided they were guaranteed
>confidentiality) that we did not get a good return on the investment.
>

>If it weren’t red, I would have grey hair as a
>result of this experience.  After that, unless I
>found a better way, I swore I would never get
>involved in planning large group events
>again.  Fortunately, at St. Ignatius College, I found ‘the better way’.
>

>After that I introduced the approach to my
>company.  While I had considerable success at
>the lower levels, my inroads with the executives were limited.
>

>I was let go from this company several years
>ago. Since then, as an external Organizational
>Development/Training and Development type, I
>have had several opportunities to Open Space
>with organizations and sponsors who ‘get it’ as
>I do.  I also had child number two.
>

>This past spring, as both kids would be in
>school in September and our finances were
>faltering, my husband and I agreed that it was
>time for me to seek full time employment
>again.  To help me learn ‘how to get a job’, I
>joined a local networking group comprised of ‘Executives in Transition’.
>

>This is where my story begins.
>

>The Story – ‘Making It Happen’
>

>The first session I attended, I felt a bit
>awkward.  The group, about 60  ‘Executives in
>Transition’, were mostly 40-60 year old men in
>suits and white shirts   The few women attendees
>were wearing dressy suits, high heels and
>pantyhose (not attire this mother of young
>children is familiar with).   I tried not to
>feel too self-conscious, as I stood up in my
>Birkenstock equivalents and corduroy pants to
>introduce myself and give my ‘30 second
>commercial’. (I had failed to read on the
>website that the dress code for these meetings is ‘first interview’).
>

>However, it appeared like a group where I could
>work on my 30 second commercial, interviewing
>skills, and, network to make connections to
>those who might hire me. So I dusted off my
>‘professional woman’ jackets and pants (no
) and showed up at the second
>meeting better ‘suited’ to fit in.
>

>The format of the group was conventional.  The
>first half hour was “Good News’ – reports from
>people who had interviews or had landed, and
>then new members were asked to give their 30
>second commercial (aka ‘You never get an second
>chance to make a first good impression.).  Then
>a keynote speaker, followed by 1 ½ hours of
>table team ‘networking’.  For networking we were
>numbered off and asked to go to the
>appropriate  table.  In a round robin fashion,
>each person at the table talks about their
>career background and direction, practices their
>commercial, and the group supports with suggestions and advice.
>

>At the first networking session I ended up with
>a group of men (mostly in white shirts), most of
>who were in the Food Packaging industry.  I
>learned a bit about this industry and asked some
>relevant questions, and they were polite and
>worked to understand my field and come up with
>appropriate suggestions and advice for me.
>

>Of course, I know that this process would be
>much more valuable (and fun) if we did it in
>Open Space.  To me, it is a ‘no brainer’
>application.  So I suggest it to the Man in
>Charge.   He was intrigued, and amongst other
>questions asked me how he would ‘measure the
>success’ of such a session.  I told him that we
>would measure it by the number of people who
>showed up (there are about 1500 members of this
>group, but only 100 – 150 show up for the weekly
>meetings at three locations) and the formal and
>anecdotal feedback from the attendees of the
>session.  He agrees that it might be a good idea
>to ‘try something new’ and says he will fit me into the schedule.
>

>Several months later, after numerous exchanges
>of emails and conversations (discussing Open
>Space and agreeing on the theme and invitation),
>the Man in Charge schedules the session for
>November 20th.  In the announcement on the
>organization’s website and in the local paper,
>and at the November 13th meeting, the session is
>announced as “Open Space Technology – The Next
>Generation of Networking” by expert speaker –
>Judy Gast. (Wow
. an Open Space and a Networking
>expert
if only...life would be beautiful
)   I
> [...]
>all, The Man with the Hat’s number one mantra
>is: “Anyone with a good head and a good heart
>can do it”.  I had loving parents who sent me to
>good schools, so I should qualify.
>

>About 75 people show up by 8:30, the scheduled
>start time. A different Man in Charge welcomes
>everyone and announces the ‘workshop’
>agenda.  First he says we will have ‘Good News’
>and ‘Introduction of New Members’. That will be
>followed by Part One of the Open Space Workshop,
>followed by a 15 minute break, after which comes
>Part Two of the Workshop.  Obviously, he didn’t
>know and no one told him either.  I don’t say anything.
>

>We have about 20 new members (the average for
>any previous meeting I attended was 6).  It
>takes forever for them to get through their ’30
>second commercials’ per the required formula,
>which is projected on the wall. (I couldn’t
>convince them that an overhead projector was
>really not required for this piece.)  The group
>patiently and politely listens.
>

>The original Man in Charge is handed the mike to
>introduce me. I had emailed him a short, pithy
>biography. Since I hadn’t written a book, I
>thought the group would need some information
>about me to let them know they were not going to
>be turned over to a complete incompetent  (this
>group is particularly sceptical of touchy feely
>HR/OD types).  He doesn’t read it.  He says
>something to the effect of “At this group, we
>are always willing to try something
>different.  After all, if you always do what
>you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you
>always got.  Judy Gast, a member of this group,
>twisted my arm to try this new process for our
>networking. It is called Open Source
>Technology.   Please be sure to give us your
>feedback at the end so we know whether to do it
>again. Please welcome Judy Gast.”
>

>I sigh, under my breath, but loudly.  The man
>sitting next to me notices. I stand up, thank
>the Man in Charge for the opportunity to present
>something new to the group, and start walking
>the circle.   I breathe.  They are all staring
>at me, sceptically, with their arms crossed.  Or
>so it appears to me. In the interest of time, or
>perhaps because I was nervous, I don’t say half
>the things I had planned.  Actually, I cut it
>short because...at the last moment..I remember
>the words of the Man in the Hat.  His second
>mantra is ‘Think of one more thing not to say

>or was it not to do?’  Whatever, it
>works.  (That, by the way, is the Man in the
>Hat’s third mantra: ‘It always works’.)
>

>I didn’t forget to give tribute to the Man in
>the Hat – even told the group about the Utube
>video wherein he does a 30 second elevator
>speech on Open Space in the back of a
>cab.  (They were not interested, probably should have left that piece out.)
>

>When I get to the part about bumblebees and
>butterflies I turn on the battery operated
>bumblebee.  It makes a loud racket on the wood
>floor as it buzzes around.  People laugh.  I am
>glad I spent my grocery money on the bee
 I know
>I have plenty of oatmeal and peanut butter in the cupboard.
>

>When I say ‘Go for it’ and point to the paper in
>the centre, half a dozen folks rush to the
>centre.  Others are amazed.   After several
>periods of silence, wherein people and potential
>topics lurk, twelve sheets of paper are posted
>on the wall - six for each time slot.  Perfect –
>just what the grid allocated (there were more
>stickies/spaces if needed).  I invite everyone
>to go to the wall and get to work. Everybody
>goes to the wall.  The mingling, shuffling and
>buzzing starts.  Several ask me questions about
>what they are supposed to do.  I think; perhaps
>I left out too much. Oh well, they get it and go to work.
>

>A couple minutes later I go to the wall to
>peruse the topics.  There are only four topics
>posted for the first session and numerous people
>are still hanging out deciding where to
>go.  Where are the missing topics?  I look
>around.  The initiators took their papers and
>posted them on the walls next to their
>flipcharts.  I scurry around and collect them
>and retape them to the agenda wall.
>

>A woman wearing a dressy suit, high heels and
>pantyhose comes up to me.  She tells me that she
>would have posted a topic but she didn’t want to
>get down on the floor in her skirt and
>heels.   I smile apologetically and tell her
>that I am sorry I didn’t think of that.  I hand
>her a piece of paper and encourage her to post
>her topic.  She carefully writes her topic on
>the paper and tapes it on the wall.   I’m glad
>that I don’t own a dressy suit, high heels or a pair of pantyhose.
>

>When it is about 10 minutes past the time for
>the second session to start, people are all over

 mingling and talking to each other (being