more funding community work?

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 03:41:19 PST 2007

Peggy & Doug

Helpful redefinition of the question "how can we find funding sources
to do the difficult and innovative work of bringing communities
together?"

Maybe we should do some lateral thinking.  Traditionally, we respond to
a sponsor with a specific problem where the application of a large
group process, especially OS, is an effective way to bring people
together to create a way forward or a shared future.   Perhaps we
should turn this approach on its head by  presenting the process as a
means for a concerned funding source to promote community building and
participatory democracy distinct from and alternative to specific
organisational initiatives and sponsorship.

In other words, can OS be made attractive as a generic process that a
civil institution would support as an offering to the Community?  Is
there something in your country like the UK's Roundtree Foundation that
funds projects to reform or expand the political process?  Is there a
credible and progressive think tank that shares OS values and would put
together a programme and find funding?  If so, would it be worth making
a proposal by a group of practitioners or even an OS institute to fund
the generic application of OS to Communities and present it to a
foundation or think tank?  Once the process is piloted, it can be
rolled out to more people and places.

Public decision making and politics clearly are failing and desparately
need to find new ways to involve more people.  Conventional approaches
no longer work.  Rather, public decision making continues to fall into
fewer and fewer hands and, more often than not, is hidden from "public"
view until it is too late to change except to protest.  OS has the
fantastic ability  to be organised quickly and involve large numbers
who have the passion (care about an issue)  and do something about it
(take responsibility.)

Does this make any sense?

Kind regards

Kerry