OS with communities where writing is a challenge

Michael Wood mjwood at admin.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 13 18:45:50 PST 2007

Hello,

I have recently joined this list and this is my first posting. I have
worked for several years with OS and I'm planning to come to the
SanFrancisco event next year, so looking forward to meeting some of you.

I may have an OS coming up soon in which some (maybe even a large part)
of the group may not be able to write. This literacy issue relates to
education, not any kind of physical or intellectual disability.

In a situation like this, what are the options? Do those people tend to
self organise for someone with written language skills to post their
topic (and read other people's topics)? Given that there may (or may
not) be some level of shame around illiteracy, should the matter be
addressed up front at the beginning of the OS? If so, would this be the
role of the Sponsor or the OS Facilitator?

I intend talking about this with the sponsor, which may resolve the
issue/approach, but wanted to give it some thought, myself, in advance.
Has anyone experienced this situation?

Cheers
Michael Wood
Western Australia