FW: Craig

Worsley, Stuart sworsley at snvworld.org
Thu Nov 1 07:49:48 PDT 2007

I concur with the need to recognise that some people need to see structure if they are not to get the heebie-jeebies.

I use OS a lot within my organisation and with clients that we serve. But I pick and choose as to when to use OS simply because I find that, unless there is real 'give a damn' energy in the room, it does not always work so well. So I often start with a semblance of order, and take the group through imaging exercises to find out where their passions lie, and then structure OS around the emerging issues.

But I have found that with some groups, there is a fear that comes from the unknown. I therefore, with such groups, often circulate a very boxy and uninspiring agenda. It is easy to do, easy to get rid of, creates the initial comfort that some require, and offers a bit of a thrill when it is chucked out. BUT, you will always find that there are those who cannot function without the agenda. And that is when the matrix really works.

To change tack:

If any of you are interested in building connections between workshop sessions over time, may I recommend a recent work by Danny Burns of the University of the West of England.

"Systemic Action Research: A strategy for whole system change" is published on October 17th by Policy Press.
https://www.policypress.org.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10032&products_id=1007

Also available from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Systemic-Action-Research-Strategy-System/dp/1861347375/ref=sr_1_6/026-6129499-0830843?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189584837&sr=1-6

Here, he looks at ways of fostering enquiry into issues of concern and setting up action point (and OS is a good way to do that) - and then connecting these into sequential strands of enquiry that can be brought together. This has increased the use of OS in our practice as well as other methods and approaches.

Stuart Worsley
Director, Kenya and Sudan
SNV - The Netherlands Development Organisation
Ngong Lane, Off Ngong Road
P.O.Box 30776 - 00100
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254 20 387 3656