OSLIST Digest - 28 Oct 2007 to 31 Oct 2007 (#2007-268)

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 06:31:42 PDT 2007

On 11/1/07 2:00 AM, "Craig wrote:

> Have you ever done an OS where you did not even schedule the sessions you
> simply let them happen as they need to happen, or is this schedule a needed
> basic bones of the structure?

Yes, about ten times, but always in the context of an un-themed event.

I run an open space ³retreat² every winter for about 30 friends and friends
of friends.  It¹s about 48 hours of open space, but it has no ³purpose²
other than for folks to get away, hang out, as we say here in the US, and
relax in comfortable company.  I give each event a ³theme² or title, but
it¹s deliberately meaningless.  To give you the idea, last year¹s theme was
the slang expression, ³Like, You Know, Whatever...²

On these occasions I mark the wall for ³Saturday Morning², ³Saturday
Afternoon², etc.  Nothing more.  It works perfectly well.  I learned this
from Harrison, who used to run the old OT Symposia in this fashion.  I¹m
sure this approach would work in a ³real² event, too, thought I cannot
recall that I have ever tried it.  The community would solve any problems,
I¹m certain.

One more thing to leave out, indeed.

Greetings to all from cooling central New Jersey, USA, where the leaves are
turning, and we just about have frost on the pumpkin.

Ralph Copleman

P.S.  If you would like to receive an invitation to this year¹s ³Winter
Retreat² of February 8-10, let me know by private e-mail.