"rules" and self-organization

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Wed May 30 21:30:53 PDT 2007

what i'm hearing now is that the 'self' in the self-organizing
matters.  the self is bigger than the individual.  it needs a purpose,
a reason to gather.  then it has to notice itself.

sometimes groups notice themselves, mostly defined by some shared
purpose, i suppose.  when they articulate the shared purpose, they are
on their way.  but that's not necessarily going to get them into open
space.  might just get them tangled in a lot of committees.  but the
committees will all point up to a chief.

if the chief takes this all in and tells people what to do, things
might work for awhile.  even a long while.  but when the chief starts
asking questions, and sharing answers with everybody, then the self,
starts to notice itself in more detail.  first, in the inviting and
the opening briefing, the apparent leaders are inviting the self to
notice itself.  the in the discussions, the noticing deepens.

a group where the convener doesn't show or doesn't speak seems likely
to miss out on the modelling process of noticing "the other" in the
group and individuals.  this noticing, harrison has called it
'witnessing', i think, does matter.  it's the beginning of the
expanding awareness that can ultimately permeate the group in ways
many of us have seen and relished.

and it leads us back to noticing how it is that we practice noticing,
everything and everyone.  as we said some long time ago in one osonos
session... open space starts when you pick up the phone.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates

phone: 312-280-7838