Emergence and Flocking - From the OSLIST Archives

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed May 30 11:59:58 PDT 2007

Cool...that's one of my favourite links of all time actually, and it holds
up even five years later.

I just killed five minutes staring at those little guys moving around.

Lovely.

Chris

On 5/30/07, Artur Silva <arturfsilva at yahoo.com> wrote:

> And indeed it was there...
>
> An old post on flocking and self organization.
>
> Thanks Chris
>
> Artur
> ---------
>
> *Date:*         Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:47:37 -0700
> *Reply-To:*     OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
> *Sender:*       OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
> *From:*         Chris Corrigan <chris at chriscorrigan.com> *Subject:*      Web
> site on flocking, swarming and other adaptive behaviour
> *Content-Type:* text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> This -  http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/ - is amazing.  It's a site
> maintained by Craig Reynolds who developed a computer model of bird
> flocks using three simple rules: avoid crowding flockmates, steer to the
> centre of the flock and move towards the average position of flock
> mates.  The results of these three rules can be seen in a little java
> applet on the page, and then you can scroll down for a huge collection
> of links on this phenomenon.
>
> If nothing else, it helps me understand why OST participants never run
> into each other.  Of course my own internal metaphor generation engine
> is running full steam...
>
> Chris
>

> ------------------------------
> Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48255/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545433>from
> someone who knows.
> Yahoo! Answers - Check it out. * *

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com