doing self-organization

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Thu May 24 10:51:42 PDT 2007

Michael et al
First of all thank you for this discussion.  You can't have self
organization without open space and probably you can't have open space
with out self organization.  But I love the rolling around of thoughts
in these regards.  I love the mystery of creation that is revealed.
I come at self organization from a biological science perspective. In
creation self organization does enable high performance, sustaining
life and evolution or leading change in organization as you put.  Some
would say that without selforganization there would be no life.  Self
organization is not an outward event.  It is not an abstracted event.
It is  action in response to experience and the identity transforming
that occurs because of this relationship between self and the
environment self occurs in.  It does in its essence make life
possible.  In looking at the organization of a cell and what is
possible, self organization facilitates the association and
configurationof lipids and proteins that allow the passage of certain
materials into the cell.  In the case of the living each action the
living entity takes changes the environment that the entity is in.
This would create a toxic environement for living to be sustained if
not for this dynamic relationship between self and environement.  This
is what self organization is.  It is a presence to be in the place
where it is.  It is a presence that allows transformation in a
transforming environment.  It is a presence that recognizes
possibility and enters into relationship with it.  Varela would call
it the mindfulness found in Buddhist tradition and the the fundamental
cognition. Self organization is what makes even a molecule possible
and everything else in creation possible.  For me it is like a fractal
that is fundamental to everything and defines creation and is
integrated into all that is created.

To refer back to Harrison's statement I don't think you can enable it
or sustain it.  I think all of creation is the an expression of it.
So for me it is more how to remain the most synchronized with it and
therefore with myself.  Individual entities can I suppose intefere
with the process or presence  but not without causing their own death.
 Even if one eliminates their own self organizing abilities and cause
their death, their physical form will be included in the possibility
of something else in creation.  Like I said I just don't think that
anything can be separated from it because we are it even in our own
deaths.

I guess what I hear when you say that you like to enable high
preformance, sustain life in neighborhood communities, leading change
in organizations, or other purposes is that you like to work at the
macro level.  In reading your posts and some of your writings I
speculate that in your work with groups of people that you try to be
present for the group in a capacity that facilitates creation,
identity, transformation, possibility.  I am thinking that if my
specualtion about you is correct you name what you do a little
deferently.  From where I view it, I would name it an expression of
self organization.

I am totally a believer that is certain from this post and part of
what I love about the topic is the implications it has.  If this is
true and self organization is fundamental to creation and us as part
of creation what implications does it have for how we view actions in
the world like violence lest say?  What implications are there for how
we work in community if any?  Self organization is on some level the
seed for intelligence.  It has helped me view the workings of the
world as intelligent in that they all lead down a path. This view
helps me to descripe the path and do specualte where it might lead.  I
am wondering where that kind of wondering will lead?

Love to be present for this conversation.
pat black