Offside

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Mon May 14 23:58:11 PDT 2007

Dear friends and colleagues,

Looking for a fun, new film to inspire OS practice? Internationally-
acclaimed Iranian director Jafar Panahi's "Offside" might not spring to
mind. The more I think about it, the more I see...and like.

Quite simply, it's the story of a young Tehrani girl who tries to sneak
into the Iran-Bahrain World Cup qualifying match in 2006. The film seems so
much about how we choose to be in this world in spite of chaos and how we
muddle through.

It moved me, my father, and his friend close to (happy) tears.

It also moved me to write a letter to President Bush...inviting him to
watch the film when he has a chance.

I imagine he gets lots of letters telling him how bad the war in Iraq is. I
figure inviting a President to fun reflection might bring different results.

Heck, if you plan on bombing somebody's country, perhaps watch a few
minutes of film about them first, no?

If you want to learn more about this film, check out the official site at
http://www.sonyclassics.com/offside

warmly,
raffi