OS with homeless in city park?

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Sat Mar 31 19:39:26 PDT 2007

Doug,

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but two years ago in
Moscow I did two 4 hour OST meetings where there was some involvement by
homeless people, three of the 50 attendees were homeless. The theme was
something like "How can homeless people, NGO's, and government work more
closely together?"

Three memorable things:
1. they moved the coffee tables groaning with food to their session areas
and sat around the tables!

2. for some reason they never walked up to the marketplace but otherwise
butterflies and bumblebeed

3. One city official managing a municipal shelter promised right there to
stop discriminating and allow homeless people who were not originally from
Moscow to stay at the shelter.

Photos are up on flickr

I understand Larry Peterson did a fair amount of work in this area a number
of years ago.

Warmly,
raffi

p.s. Doug, your immigration OS invite is one of the most inspiring and
catchy OS invites I've ever seen! Really  helps one to think creatively.