FW: Causing Trouble

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 22 04:27:02 PDT 2007

From: Uwe Weissflog [mailto:Uwe.Weissflog at t-online.de]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 6:28 AM
To: hhowen at verizon.net
Subject: Re: Causing Trouble

Dear Harrison,

what you say resonates with my experience and my heart. After numerous Open
Space events in high-tech businesses and universities I have come to similar
conclusions. Humberto Maturana's says in one of his books: "... but creating
and managing are basically different. I co-create, by consciously living in
the Now, making life more harmoniously - without enslaving other people".
But this, apparently is the dilemma we face when opening the space: the
self-organising and co-creating power of people becomes obvious and collides
with the desire of some who want have power over people.

I had cases, where after very successful Open Space events (for example one,
which resulted in 3 patents) higher management simply stopped it because the
structure did not fit the "normal way of life" in the company - what a waste
of possibilities.

I'm now very careful when and how to use Open Space - sometimes it seems
better to say no - for the sake of the people involved.

--
Uwe Weissflog
Pathway Guidance - Europe(TM), GbR
uwe.weissflog at pathwayguidance.eu