When is Open Space Not Open Space

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Mon Mar 5 14:50:51 PST 2007

Dear Sheila, dear ho,
it sounds like a predecessor to a Method that was created in the late
sixties (thats about 40 years ago)in Germany in the wake of the
anti-authoritarian / free speech / democratisation period called
"Metaplan". In that process, people are
-asked to jot down aspects ot a theme they are interested in on small
cards (postits had not been invented, I think)
-post them on a pinboard
-cluster them into "theme areas"
-give each cluster a "heading"
-work in small groups on the identified clusters and plan next steps
The voting, I think, was not part of this process (a real progress).

Of course, open space technology is a quantum leap, where people focus
on issues they have passion for and want to act on and go ahead and do
it in selforganisation in a matrix of space and time they can adjust to
their needs...with the facilitator definitely not up front managing the
process.

Greetings from Berlin just back from an exhilerating stammtisch with 16
colleagues in our favorite pub in Berlin-Kreuzberg ... filled with open
space reports from Belarus, collegiate counselling, contacts to our
friends in Kyiv, deals being struck, new collaborations developed´,
heavy consumption of spirits and greek food...
Any others out there with stammtisch experiences tonite?

mmp boscop eg