butterflies revisited

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Sun Mar 4 18:38:46 PST 2007

Greetings fellow spaceholders,

This from today's edition of the daily dharma at tricyle(.com)

°	Practice and the Butterfly

The life history of a butterfly is similar to our practice. We have some
misconceptions about both, however. We may imagine, for example, that
because butterflies are pretty, their life in the cocoon before they emerge
is also pretty. We don't realize all that the worm must go through in order
to become a butterfly. Similarly, when we begin to practice, we don't
realize the long and difficult transformation required of us. We have to see
through our pursuit of outward things, the false gods of pleasure and
security. We have to stop gobbling this and pursuing that in our
shortsighted way, and simply relax into the cocoon, into the darkness of the
pain that is our life. Such practice requires years of our lives. Unlike the
butterfly, we don't emerge once and for all.

--Charlotte Joko Beck, Nothing Special: Living Zen
from Everyday Mind, edited by Jean Smith, a Tricycle book

On a related note, I have found Eric Carle's children's book The Very Hungry
Caterpillar to be an excellent kiddie version of Harrison's "Spirit."
Absolutely delicious illustrations, including, of course, a butterfly.