Randomiser! (this has the full message)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Jun 10 12:50:00 PDT 2007

Phelim--

I'm reminded of a chapter on planning in Karl E. Weick's book, the Social
Psychology of Organizing.  He talks about how our planning for the future usually
revolves around our past experience.  He talks of hunter/gatherer cultures
who depleted the game in their area by returning frequently to the places where
they had found game in the past.

A more useful strategy was used by groups which decided their next hunting
spot by "throwing bones" (casting lots).  This randomized the selection process,
decreasing the likelihood that the game would be overhunted in any single
region.

Weick proposed that many organizations would do well to replace their
elaborate planning processes with "throwing bones," and the chapter included a
randomizing tool.

My husband actually proposed this to the large corporation where he worked.
Their planning process required many hours of work over several months, and
rarely produced good outcomes.   It may not surprise you to hear that this
suggestion was NOT well received!

Joelle