"rules" and self-organization

NigelSeys-Phillips nigel at fulcrum.com.sg
Fri Jun 1 06:39:03 PDT 2007

Dear Helen,

I am a total novice at this but a brief comment
..

Among my first few Open Space events were:

1)       An NGO in Cambodia where children previously working on the city
trash dump are being lovingly cared for and educated – children from
12-18yrs old

2)       A group of 200 street children in Mongolia whose most important
issue (at the end of a two day OS event) was being allowed to have ID cards
– and which event has I believe made a huge difference to their lives as the
findings have been adopted by the Government and has resulted in much closer
communication between the wonderful people who work with the children –
children from 8-20yrs old

3)       A group of young people in Singapore – from 18-35yrs old

These three events were part of a wider series working to identify “How we
create a better future”

4)       An international organization working on how best to communicate
across geographical boundaries – senior experienced executives

5)       A leading hi-tech equipment manufacturer bringing their people
together for a common goal – managers and team leaders from across the
business

We had no chairs for the first three
but we had a circle
and nobody could
have had the slightest clue about what would happen

We had a room with chairs and a circle for the others
and they had received
a reasonably well-written invitation

My conclusion (possibly naïve) – it just flat out works! - despite these
totally disparate levels of experience. That’s the link!

And it works even if there is a lunatic foreign person walking round in
circles speaking a language they have no idea about (translated ably I must
say by my supporters for the events) in an environment they have absolutely
no experience of at all
I can only imagine what the street children were
thinking!!

May not help – but I remain totally in awe of the power of OS to deliver
results and just wish I had understood this years, and years, ago.

All the best – and yes, it’s hot here!!

Nigel

Nigel Seys-Phillips

Fulcrum Business Management Solutions