Self-organizing and the role of design

douglas germann 76066.515 at compuserve.com
Sun Jun 3 18:35:20 PDT 2007

Peggy--

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 13:00 -0700, Peggy Holman wrote:
> I'm struggling for language around this because putting it in the form
> of an either/or, as I just did, misses the boat.  What's the larger
> perspective that holds them both?  And how do we best work with these
> different assumptions?

Perhaps it is a continuum. Put directing the energy on the 75 mark on
the scale, "will take care of itself" on the 25 mark. At zero put
laissez-faire; at 100 put Hitler and Stalin. Or make it a circle and we
all have a spot on the rim...but we are all in the circle. Where does
that get us with your first question?

And what does it suggest toward your second question?

			:- Doug.