Facilitator must be part of the conversations

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Jul 30 11:29:50 PDT 2007

Hi Doug...

There are levels of hosting and facilitating in these processes.  In
Conversation Cafes, World Cafes and Open Space meetings there are
facilitators who are responsible for the overall space and there are hosts
within the space that take responsibility for the conversations.  In OST we
call thes folks conveners (or we use other names) and in the Cafes they call
them table hosts.

I think in general its a good idea to have the overall event facilitator
"hold space" and to have the hosts within the gathering take as much
responsibility as possible for the outcomes.  The advantages of doing it
this way are clearly that passion bounded by responsibility gets things
done.

I am not entrenched on the question of whether the OST facilitator can or
cannot participate in the event.  There are many factors that come into
play.  In events I have done within my community, where the community has
had some previous exposure to OST, I am perfectly comfortable opening space
and then participating.  It seems that the groups is able to hold space for
all just fine.  In other places, where a client is doing something
completely strange (apprenticeships, post-secondary education policy,
sustainability planning for an unfamiliar community) then I just sit on the
edges, taking care of the space, helping with the proceedings, answering
questions and talking about the process with the curious.

And still other times, when there are a team of facilitators to help hold
space, I feel more free to participate, especially if the work is with
people close to me.

I think the question is, what are the benefits of having space holders at
all levels?

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com