needing some advice

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 04:10:06 PDT 2007

Jon -- I think you "OD Intuition" is working splendidly. The strategy
proposed by "the opposition" is pretty obvious. They want you to create a
management team which they can control (overtly or covertly). But you must
understand, as I am sure you do understand, that this is an argument you can
never win. So don't argue -- Do! What I mean is don't get all philosophical,
focus on program and practicality. Specifically -- identify the concrete
programmatic needs/opportunities which involve everybody -- and open space,
after space, after space. Keep moving. Fast!! And each time you Open Space,
drive towards action. Create a website where action plans can be displayed,
conversations continued, and concrete results (presuming there are some)
celebrated. This really all about transparency. If you keep everything
public (not hidden in some "management committee") folks will quickly see
what is working and/or not -- and who is doing what, or not.

I had essentially the same situation you are facing (I think) some 30 years
ago. My responsibility was to implement a (US) Congressional mandate
requiring the divisions of a very large federal (health) agency to
collaboratively pursue some new program directions that they had never seen
as part of their mission -- and had no desire to change. I had no budget, no
(official authority) and I was essentially brand new to the agency. My
advisors told me that I must immediately get some budget, claim authority
and force the action. I knew that would be ineffective -- but more to the
point -- suicidal. Instead I moved fast, usually below the radar and opened
programmatic spaces that challenged and excited people. As soon as the
action would start and take some definitive form I got out of the way. At
the end of the first year and a half, we had something like 100 million
dollars of other people's money committed to the new  collaborative program.
Now some 30 years later, the whole thing has become essentially a new
discipline with departments in most medical schools, a journal, and a
professional society. But you got to keep moving, open space, and get out of
the way.

Harrison