hierarchy...was report from the field

Kaliya Hamlin kaliya at mac.com
Sat Jul 14 14:36:56 PDT 2007

Follow up.

I was asked what does 'the right to fork' mean.
Perhaps a step back and understanding what they are forking (dividing
in two copies and code base diverges).

I am not a coder - I have worked with communities and people who do
code for several years know. My description is somewhat of a
simplification but accurate enough for the purposes here.

Open Source Code means that the  Source Code is distributed with the
binary (the part that makes the computer go) When you purchase
proprietary software - you only get the binary (you don't get to see
the 'human readable' code that if you could read it - you could
change and improve it')

So when a [source] code base forks it means that code 'splits' and
two different versions evolve out of one ... like two branches of a
tree that have the same trunk.

Forking although a 'right' is NOT encouraged and can be very
disruptive .... it is better to have one community of 1000 people
working on one code base then two communities of 500 working on two
separate code bases...

The right to Fork creates a powerful dynamic tension that alows for
cohesion but also requires the leaders in a community strive for
inclusivity and doing the right thing for the whole. It forces
responsiveness amongst the community 'leader(s)' (who are that
because of their aquisition of community respect and their merit in
coding and decision making (code either works or it doesn't, it is
either fast or it is not - there are metrics that merrit is judged by
that are not just subjective).

This is a good article on the meatball wiki about what the Right to
Fork is - it also puts the role of benevolent dictator in context.
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?RightToFork

So you can see why I say it is similar philosophically but quite
different practically.

Open Standards ARE different then Open Source... mainly because they
are about adoption and interoperability.
  They are more like rail road tracks having the same gauge and the
electric plugs on our walls all having the same outlet (at least with
in a country (or having the same voltage (at least within a
continent). Or Containers for container-ships beings the same (few)
standard size(s)  [packets of information that travel on the interent
are all standardized - you could think of containers on
containterships as "physical packets" that contain goods while
packets on the internet contain information]

In the Technical world innovating in this area involved a lot of
conversations with a lot of players and getting to consenses and
implementation....

FORKING doesn't work in Open Standards - you can't just build your
own electric system with your own voltage and plug... You have to
figure out how to cooperate on the base infrastructure stuff and then
innovate on top of that.   Standards evolve....new ones emerge as
technology changes....Here are some technical standards  outlined -
http://www.openstandards.net/viewOSnet3C.jsp

Guess what... I have found that Open Space Technology is a good
method to getting the issues surfaced - concerns addressed and the
social 'lubrication' needed to get to agreements that mean the
adoption of Open Standards.

Kaliya - Identity Woman
kaliya at mac.com

http://www.unconference.net