Opening challenges

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Fri Jul 27 12:34:47 PDT 2007

Hi there friends,

I just held an open space event in Bristol for the theatre community
there. The Bristol Old vic theatre has been closed and there has been
a lot of intense feeling about this. The event invitation was "So,
Where do we go from here?" It was a good day I think... here is a
link to a press article about it which is very positive about open
space is good for situations of conflict.  In my opening introduction
I was challenged that the meeting should not be happening in this way
and it was quite quite an aggressive challenge. I of course supported
the challenger and asked them to suggest their proposal as a
session... this worked well but i was also a bit knocked by this and
it meant i forgot a few things to mention in the introduction about
the news room and the reports. I was happy how open space included
this energy and also included it, as were a number of people who came
and spoke to me about it later. I am interested if other people have
tales of space invaders.. particularly in the opening and how they
have handled this. What i have noticed is that when people have been
angry about the way the event is happening they got angry because
they had felt patronised by something that seems so simple. Also they
were angry that I mentioned "passion and responsibilty" almost as if
I might be suggesting they weren't about the issue.

Phelim x

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 20:34 +0100, Phelim McDermott wrote:
> What i have noticed is that when people have been
> angry about the way the event is happening they got angry because
> they had felt patronised by something that seems so simple.

Phelim--

Could you say a bit more about this please? What sort of simple things?

			:- Doug.