FW: Taking Care of Yourself (Used to be -- Vignettes of an arts os)

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Fri Jul 20 15:30:39 PDT 2007

Catherine wrote: "Perhaps in your case there simply wasn't enough time to
carefully think about what might be necessary for yourself to stay whole
throughout the entire process, thus ensuring its full success even more. To
clarify your role as facilitator and the roles of others. (Taking a walk
might have been better than cleaning dishes all day.)"

Taking care of yourself is REAL important! Doing that is both easier and
harder in Open Space. Easier, because if you trust the people, they will
take care of the business. Harder -- because since you don't seem to be
"doing" anything (and the guy who is paying your fee might be looking!) you
may find yourself doing something, anything -- just to appear busy and
earning your keep. I love the title of Marv Weisbord's (of Future Search
fame) latest book, "Don't just do something, Stand There!" Right On!

The only problem I have with Catherine's suggestion is that you "think"
about it! Don't think! Do Nothing!! Creating space for yourself may seem
like a selfish act (it is -- but very useful). The flip side is that when
you have plenty of personal space, freed from all the "shoulds," "ought
to's" and "musts" you also have the room (space) to offer the same (space)
for others.

For whatever it is worth, when I do an Open Space I do my very best to make
sure that I have NOTHING to do -- as in taking care of logistics, housing,
restaurant bookings, whatever. The hotels are very good at making housing
assignments; the travel desk will take care of travel (that is what they are
paid to do!). And the People can take care of all the rest!

I admit this may sound like a total scam. Indeed one of my friends(?) once
said of me that I had invented the ultimate scam -- The client does all the
work, and they even write the report. All true!

But it is not about me (or us). It is about the people (client, whatever)
taking total responsibility for what they care about. And when they reach
the point of a blinding flash of the obvious -- that they don't really need
me -- I am gone!

One other small different with Catherine. You don't need 6 months. 24 hours
will do. After all you aren't going to do anything! However you will need to
BE a lot. And that may take some time for preparation.

Harrison