Report from the field

Alan Stewart alanmstewart at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 16:54:07 PDT 2007

Hi All

To resume the flow post July 4 holiday and Live Earth connectings (still going strong in the Western hemisphere) ...

Here for your information is a brief report on a happening last week in the East which you may find helpful for your
purposes. This is slightly adapted from what I sent it initially to a marketing agent here in Hong Kong.

"Am back after a very productive few days in Shanghai co-facilitating a workshop which featured an Open Space component for the senior management team of a large international hotel company. This was with my friend and colleague Vivien Pau.

They got Open Space in one. By this I mean there was no stopping the flow of respectful interaction. For example, the CEO and the most recent recruits talked to each other animatedly if they found themselves in a session which they felt strongly about.

>From your barest soup con [small taste] experiencing of group conversational processes you may have a glimpse that when all feel totally respected and included remarkable outcomes are likely.

Among these are new found deeper relationships and associated questioning from which emerge changed mindsets, creativity, innovation, collaboration, commitment. The overall result? $ and Joy.

The immediate outcome of the two day event was a clear set of strategies by which to achieve defined goals by the end of next year.

And a request for me to change my flight so as to stay on to party with them after the closure. <smile>

The 40 people present - from all around China - included several young women, ie around age 30-35 (in my 'take') who were very articulate and who contributed with great confidence. Wondrous to observe!

You may be most heartened to know that organisations whose financial success is based on such an open corporate culture exist in China. For others are sure to follow when given the opportunity to notice what may happen when they engage the services of skilled facilitators."

With warm regards

Going well

Alan