what do you do while opening space?...and more

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Tue Jan 23 16:58:00 PST 2007

Fellow spaceholders,

Picking up from Ralph's thread on what you are doing while holding space,
I have been curious about what i/we do when we are opening space.

Do you hold an intention when opening the space? If so, what intention?

Is it just to give the directions in as simple yet inspiring way as
possible and get out of the way?

I wonder if it is appropriate to be sending out a positive vibration
(sending metta, for example, in the practice of Vipassana meditation),
wish good thoughts in the opening and later on in the holding. Or is that
a filling up of the space with one's own content? Or might the task be to
emanate/vibrate a pleasant humming nothingness?

Or really is this a matter of being as much of a "0" the whole time?

Among other things I have done while holding space--

try to nap- still not there!
gone for a walk
gone swimming
gone to the sauna
mountain bike riding
sent text messages (try to avoid this, as well as cell phone use!)
clean up coffee cups
blown soap bubbles (not in view of participants)
played in sandbox with child at construction site of Orthodox church
collected natural objects
conversed with butterflies (human variety mostly)
conversed with meeting participants

Still not clear on the balance of being in the room and being out...

warmly,
raffi

p.s. Isn't it curious that content probably literally means "hold with"?
What connection might that have with spaceholding?