Mixing action planning and

Beverley Neff bev at cariboolinks.com
Mon Feb 26 08:38:33 PST 2007

Hello Diane,

This is a wonderful overview of when and how to use both approaches,
and gives me a clearer understanding of the reasons for choosing each
one.

Thank you to everyone who replied. You are all so generous with your
experience and support!

I'll let you know how it goes this weekend... I am really looking
forward to it.

Best regards,
--Beverley

On Feb 25, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Diane Gibeault wrote:

> [...]
>> direction - no organizational vision.
>>
>> - Concern that limited resources may not be available for everything
>> individuals may have passion for.
>>
>> - Where trust is an issue, it may be more of a challenge for
>> participants to propose topics for action. Posting a topic is not
>> just for discussion, it’s for action so the method demands more of a
>> stand. It's greater risk taking, not knowing what the leadership or
>> the group considers to be priorities.To reopen space for action:
>> - If the organization is willing to let participants pursue their own
>> personal passion on any of the topics discussed or anything as a
>> result of the experience they are now inspired to work on, the
>> question I often use is: What do I now have energy and passion to
>> work on?
>>
>> - People who want to take action on someting of interest to them post
>> a topic for action.
>>
>> - An action planning guide similar to what others have described is
>> given to every participant to help them focus on plannning for
>> action, individually or in small groups. Then there is a reporting to
>> the larger group that takes different forms depending on the
>> circumstances and needs.* Surveying first what the group feels are
>> the priorities for the organization (summary of the process I use):
>> - Participants read reports with this question in mind: What are the
>> top (three or more) priority topics you feel, we as an organization
>> should act on now?
>>
>> - Answers create a collective survey. After a quick compilation of
>> results of this survey is announced, leaders meet (15 minutes at the
>> most) to consult and see if they feel the proposed priorities fit
>> with the organizational vision, are doable and resource wise and
>> confirm that they will support them.
>>
>> - During that time participants identify other related reports to the
>> priorities and note the report numbers on a sheet attached to each
>> priority flip chart page.
>>
>> - Leaders give feedback on priorities and answer questions of
>> clarification if any.
>>
>> - Then, people choose which of the collective priorities they have
>> passion to work on - they are action planning knowing clearly they
>> have the full support of the leadership.
>>
>> - The option of action planning on other areas is still offered in
>> recognition that all the work done so far is important and that
>> someone may not have passion for the collective priorities still may
>> make positive contributions.In my experience, both methods of
>> identifying priorities for action work best when the method chosen is
>> the right one to meet the group's needs and preferences.
>
> Diane
>

> Diane Gibeault & Associé.es-Associates
> Ottawa, Canada Tel. (613) 744-2638
> www.dianegibeault.com
>

> Coming up - À noter
>
> Open Space (OST) English Training: April 25-27, Toronto Canada
>
> Forum ouvert (OST) & WC Formation-français : 27-28, 29-30, Suisse

Diane wrote: - “Priorities for action were that of individuals or a few,
often the more extraverted people, not necessarily representative of where
the leadership or the majority of people may want to go.. The organization
preferred investing its resources and energy on priorities based on a clear
indication from all members present. They wanted to know what collectively
was considered the priorities to act on and then to identify who had passion
and leadership to act on those priorities.”

I have run into the same concern, which is why I still think some form of
formal prioritization can work well. Granted this often looks like voting,
but I am not sure that voting is such a bad thing. The actual mechanism for
doing this can be as simple as pasting sticky-dots – or as complex as a
ballot with weighted scores. We used to have a nice software package that
recorded and tallied the votes and reported the results as bar graphs.
Somehow it developed a bug – but maybe some techie sort could fix it? Or
make a new one?? Anyhow, with large groups (over 100) I always found it
worked very well, and for sure it made the engineers and other “numbers”
people happy. At a practical level, counting sticky-dots can be an
eye-popping affair when the group size hits 500+. In those cases, having the
computer do all the work is a wonderful thing.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html

www.dianegibeault.com <http://www.dianegibeault.com/>

Coming up - À noter

Open Space (OST) English Training: April 25-27, Toronto Canada

Forum ouvert (OST) & WC Formation-français : 27-28, 29-30, Suisse

oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:

------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C7599B.94B63300

<head>

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
	{margin-right:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
p.Style1, li.Style1, div.Style1
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
span.EmailStyle20
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:red;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

12.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:red'>Diane wrote: - “Priorities for action
were that of individuals or a few, often the more extraverted people, not
necessarily representative of where the leadership or the majority of people
may want to go.. The organization preferred investing its resources and energy
on priorities based on a clear indication from all members present. They wanted
to know what collectively was considered the priorities to act on and then to

12.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:red'>I have run into the same concern, which is
why I still think some form of formal prioritization can work well. Granted
this often looks like voting, but I am not sure that voting is such a bad
thing. The actual mechanism for doing this can be as simple as pasting
sticky-dots – or as complex as a ballot with weighted scores. We used to
have a nice software package that recorded and tallied the votes and reported
the results as bar graphs. Somehow it developed a bug – but maybe some
techie sort could fix it? Or make a new one?? Anyhow, with large groups (over
100) I always found it worked very well, and for sure it made the engineers and
other “numbers” people happy. At a practical level, counting
sticky-dots can be an eye-popping affair when the group size hits 500+. In

style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:red'>Potomac,

style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:red'>Open Space Training</span></font><font
color=red><span style='color:red'> <a href="http://www.openspaceworld.com/"><font

style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:red'>Open Space Institute</span></font><font
color=red><span style='color:red'> <a href="http://www.openspaceworld.org/"><font

style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:red'>Personal website</span></font><font
color=red><span style='color:red'> <a href="http://www.ho-image.com/"><font

 style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:red'>OSLIST</span></font><font
color=red face=Arial><span style='font-family:Arial;color:red'>: To subscribe,
unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: </span></font><font
color=red><span style='color:red'><a
href="http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html"><font face=Arial><span

style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original Message-----<br>
[mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU] <b><span style='font-weight:bold'>On
6:45 PM<br>

size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>I also use

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- When dealing with a group that does not constitute
an intact (existing) organization. For example in many conferences neither the
sponsor organization nor other participating organizations intend to take

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Where the theme is centered on learning and

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- When I am sure the leadership is open to the
particular outcomes of this approach (opening space for action) which is very
different then first surveying what the group feels are the priorities for the
organization. (see the desciption * of that process below.) Some
sponsors/leaders feel that organizational resources, time and money can only be
committed to a limited number of initiatives. Or, they want some sequencing of
initiatives, beginning with those topics that require attention first according

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Disadvantages of opening the space again for action that

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Priorities for action were that of individuals or a
few, often the more extraverted people, not necessarily representative of where
the leadership or the majority of people may want to go.. The organization preferred
investing its resources and energy on priorities based on a clear indication
from all members present. They wanted to know what collectively was considered
the priorities to act on and then to identify who had passion and leadership to

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Some felt there was a lack of focus, actions going

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Concern that limited resources may not be available

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Where trust is an issue, it may be more of a
challenge for participants to propose topics for action. Posting a topic is not
just for discussion, it’s for action so the method demands more of a
stand. It's greater risk taking, not knowing what the leadership or the group

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- If the organization is willing to let participants
pursue their own personal passion on any of the topics discussed or anything as
a result of the experience they are now inspired to work on, the question I

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- People who want to take action on someting of

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- An action planning guide similar to what others
have described is given to every participant to help them focus on plannning
for action, individually or in small groups. Then there is a reporting to the
larger group that takes different forms depending on the circumstances and

style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>* Surveying first what the group
size=2 face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>(summary of

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Participants read reports with this question in
mind: What are the top (three or more) priority topics you feel, we as an

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Answers create a collective survey. After a quick
compilation of results of this survey is announced, leaders meet (15 minutes at
the most) to consult and see if they feel the proposed priorities fit with the
organizational vision, are doable and resource wise and confirm that they will

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- During that time participants identify other
related reports to the priorities and note the report numbers on a sheet

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Leaders give feedback on priorities and answer

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- Then, people choose which of the collective
priorities they have passion to work on - they are action planning knowing

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>- The option of action planning on other areas is
still offered in recognition that all the work done so far is important and
that someone may not have passion for the collective priorities still may make

10.0pt;font-family:Arial'>In my experience, both methods of identifying
priorities for action work best when the method chosen is the right one to meet

face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Diane

style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Ottawa, Canada Tel. (613)

style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'><a

face=Arial><span style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;color:navy'>Coming

color=green face=Arial><span style='font-size:7.5pt;font-family:Arial;

color=green face=Arial><span style='font-size:7.5pt;font-family:Arial;
color:green'>Forum ouvert (OST) & WC Formation-français : 27-28, 29-30,