Law of Two Feet

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Fri Feb 16 13:19:13 PST 2007

The question of the law of the 2 feet is often a key one for the planning
group to capture the power of the OS approach and to loose its fear of using
it. They fear the method won't work because of the possiblity of dominance
in self-managed groups (read "self-managed groups" as "no one to take care
of things") or they fear it is so powerful that people will hesitate to use
it.

Whether the planning group expresses concern about their organization's
culture i.e., intimidation, dominance, authority, hierarchy or not, here are
a few things I share around the law of the two feet as they are considering
and exploring OST, this "so different " way of meeting.

The word "law" helps to communicate the importance of that powerful tool
available to absolutely every participant. There being only one law gives it
even more weight.

Making it safe for everyone is one of the intents or at least the effects of
the OS law. Laws for safety is a commonly understood concept in civil
society.

Subconsciously we try harder to be at our best as OS participants. The law
of the 2 feet joined with the principles predisposes people differently.  We
all know, including those who may usually show dominant behaviours, that the
audience is not captive. Those who like attention do not want to loose it,
as Michael Heman said so well, and he added: "In open space, nothing is
imposed so nobody needs to resist, question or otherwise be difficult. When
the system stops pushing people, people stop pushing back." So true. It's
part of the safe environment created by OS.

The triangle dynamic where people would speak to each other, not directly
but via a third person tends to happen less often. There is no professional,
officially recognized person for such a role in OS. People tend to play
fewer of those psychological games knowing that others don't have to put up
with it, nor their potential victim.

A shared responsibility:"Standing on your 2 feet and saying something to
help the group or taking your 2 feet to go somewhere else to be more
productive" (as explained in the facilitator's OS opening).  Both actions
reflect a shared responsibility of the group's outcome. They replace the
dependant behaviours towards an authority figure in the group. A message can
de facto be sent to the discussion group if there is cause for them to find
that the 2 feet which just left were sending such a message.

The bumble bee helper:  For those who may be still hesitant to demonstrate
openly such a move with their 2 feet, the bumblebee can become a safe way to
try out their 2 feet in a less explicit manner, a gradual transition one
might call it. Often I hear participants say with a smile or in a humorous
tone to the group they are leaving: "Well, I'm a bumble bee this time. See
you later." No one really checks whether they had signed up their names on
different topic sheets at that given discussion round. In any event, that
doesn't matter because everyone knows that you can sign up mentally to
different topics or not sign up and just show up. The humour associated with
the bumble bee helps some people make that hard first step to leave. You can
see and hear them later, often exhilarated by the feeling of liberation.
Gradually, as they become more confident, they don't say anything about why
they're leaving a group and they understand clearly they are using their 2
feet, with a greater feeling of empowerment.

Posters of: "Everyone takes space and makes space for others" have been put
up in meeting rooms by groups who felt this reinforcement would be helpful
for both intimidated or intimidating participants. That quote can appear as
a reminder at the bottom of the form that I give every OS participant at the
event, a one-pager that summarises the convener's responsibilities and
includes a blank space so it can be circulated in discussion groups to
create the participants' list.

Permission from the leaders: I tell the planning group that in the opening
of the event, as facilitator I will specify that the leaders of the
organization have chosen for the event, this different way of being that is
Open Space. Where reinforcement is needed, I add that leaders are giving
participants the permission to exercise that freedom of the 2 feet...and
that it is not only a freedom but a responsibility to the organization to do
so. They are encouraged to take responsibility of using their 2 feet because
they and the group will be more productive, which in turn will benefit the
outcome of the event and the organization itself. I always make sure the
sponsors-leaders understand this clearly before they confirm the use of OS
for the event.

Stories of talking heads thanking the group during Evening News for a most
helpful learning about leaving space for others are helpful in understanding
that this really happens.

An overnight OS makes people more comfortable in using their 2 feet. When
the OS discussions go on for a second day or even for half of the second
day, incubation of the idea and of the experience seem to help the exercise
of that great democratic power that all participants have, as translated by
the law of the 2 feet.

In my experience, with even a few of these explanations, groups usually
feel, not only safe to risk using OST, but also excited about trying it.

Diane

Diane Gibeault & Associé.es-Associates
Ottawa, Canada Tel. (613) 744-2638
www.dianegibeault.com