Law of Two Feet

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Thu Feb 15 15:36:03 PST 2007

OTOH, If I were speaking in an OS session and I noticed one person
leave, I would think, "oh they're using the law of two feet." If I
was still speaking and saw another person leave, I would wonder at it
a bit. These people were presumably drawn to the same topic as me
weren't they? Then if I continued speaking and I saw persons three
and four leave, I might begin to reconsider whether I wanted to
continue speaking. All my own choice.

What gentler form of feedback on my behavior could there be? I get to
observe and learn from my own experience.

I doubt that the whole group would up and leave one person en masse
in any OS session. So, the attrition is observable and every
participant has the opportunity to make a choice. Whether to stay or
go, whether to keep talking or let someone else have the floor for a
while.

That's not a 2x4, that's just learning from experience. No conflict
resolution needed. I've never seen anyone leave a community as a
result of their experiences in open space, unless they decided it was
the best move for them. And used their own two feet.

-Diana

Diana Larsen
503-288-3550 www.futureworksconsulting.com
www.futureworksconsulting.com/blog

"Agile Retrospectives" Amazon Best Books of 2006!
Top Ten Editors' Picks: computer & internet http://tinyurl.com/ynacvb

Speaking March 13 at QCon in London
http://qcon.infoq.com/qcon/conference/