Open Space -- A Quiet Revolution

Suzanna Stephan suzannastephan at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 11:02:55 PST 2007

Hello all,

I guess I feel initiated enough to jump in after attending my first os event - the New England SOS hosted by Frank Deitle and facilitated by Blake Mills (confirming my suspicions after being an oslist voyeur for quite some time that you are a wonderful and unique group of people - it was a lovely experience) so I'm going to jump in and add to the concept of os as therapeutic...

As a student of The Human Design System I've become quite keen on the dynamics at play when we are not living in accordance with our design. (The Human Design System has scientifically documented the authenticity of not only the impact of the time of birth on human behavior but as importantly confirmed that we each have a genetic blueprint that impacts our system energetically, manifesting itself as personality preferences, traits, challenges and purpose.) Hopefully I haven't lost you yet, please stay with me...

So much of our experiences in life conditions us away from our nature, our natural rhythms. We get lost in the have to's, shoulds, etc., that we lose the sense of these natural tendencies. Our current social indoctrination and subsequent organizations that we work for/with just reinforce the enslavement. So an os event may sometimes be the first time in a very long time that adults get permission to reaccess their inner authority. When I came across ost and ai last summer, it immediately clicked that these were opportunities to provide the environment to reaccess our nature without necessarily having to get into the details of the esoterics which can scare a lot of mainstream folks. The law of 2 feet to me is people acting on that inner authority (which may accurately be called the Law of Self Responsibility) and will not only keep you healthy but at the right place at the right time...which some might describe as fulfilling your purpose. Who doesn't feel better when you
 get to follow your own natural rhythms vs the dictates of others.

Challenge is, like a caged animal that never leaves once the door is opened, we have to relearn what we shut down. I saw this in action when people are first given the opportunity to operate in open space, many looking for permission that what they want to do is ok. Over time you could see the loosening of the constraints. So from my view the os process is like training wheels back to our true self. Quite theraputic indeed.

Thanks for the opportunity to share and for the richness that you all bring both here and to the world.

Please keep me posted on any events happening or facilitation needed in the Mid Atlantic Area.

Warmly,
Suzanna Stephan
Virginia Beach, VA
757.621.3560

I know that there are many such stories in the OS chronicles - such
'liberation' is a joy to see and costs nothing in therapeutic fees -
a quiet (and inexpensive) revolution indeed!

Cheers
Brendan