dominant and shy

Arno Baltin arno at tlu.ee
Fri Feb 23 13:56:09 PST 2007

As I just couldnt' get free of the idea of relating os to a cultural
perspective, I will state it once more in a bit different way.

There were some cases described with dominant and shy person. Both
behaviour types were described in context of os and got some evaluation.
Both were considered as „deviant“ needing some cure or healing. And
there was a proposal that os can give the needed therapeutic effect and
„normalise“ the behaviour of these participants.

This is one alternative. There is another. If we use not the individual
psychological approach but group psychological or even more, cultural
approach. From this perspective individual behaviour is rather product
of his group identity. Every group regulates its members behaviour by
sets of values. This is the idea behind cultural relative approach to
organizational behaviour. Now we can see dominant person as one who
comes from a group were behaviour is driven by values of competitiveness
(masculinity), authority (long power distance), fight for truth (low
tolerance for uncertainty) and individualism. The shy person comes from
the group having sof values (feminity) and valuing persons dependence on
group (collectivism, you dont have to have a separate opininon different
of your group). In this interpretation the os can have impact on persons
behaviour through values. This change could occur by changing somehow
persons group identity.

OS community is bearing certain values, os as a technique of resolving
problems, and as a way of life is getting into contact with different
(organizational, ethnic) value sets. Probably the reception of os is
different by participants with different cultural backgrounds.

In this perspective of cultural differences I very much liked the
examples of use of time (Navajo) during discussions. Sometimes time is
honey :)

with best regards,

Arno Baltin