book circle invitation

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Thu Feb 22 19:59:32 PST 2007

Dear fellow spaceholders,

From time to time we ask, "what happens after Open Space?" or "How do we
create (conscious) Open Space organizations?" or any number of other Big
Questions. One book that probably offers answers to these questions and
invites further inquiry is Harrison's self-published "Spirit: Transformation
and Development in Organizations" (Abbott Books 1987), available through
online bookstores and freely downloadable at Harrison's website.

The Utne Reader called it a "cult classic."

One might liken reading the "User's Guide" and other later books about
OS/OST to being offered to ride in a shiny, red Ferrari.

In "Spirit" one might get the feeling that Harrison is lying underneath a
Ferrari, wrench in one hand, oil cloth in other hand, saying, "Hey, I've
been busy all my life discovering this time machine called Open Space, wanna
see how it ticks and join me for the ride?"

"Spirit" is intriguing not only for what it says, but also for what is left
unsaid. Indeed, Harrison, I think one of your greatest gifts as a writer is
how you subtly leave the space open for the reader to formulate the question.

I have found "Spirit" exciting for a number of reasons, including:

- it tells much more of the story of OS, sans martinis

- connections between the myth, liturgy, ritual, and organizational
transformation are established

- case examples of application of OS principles before there was an OST.

- this book offers a perspective on understanding the form and essence of
OS/OST without a mention of self-organization. Self-organization is a great
way of explaining why OST works *and* there must be other ways of
understanding and explaining why it works.

Might "Spirit" be the most significant thing that Harrison ever wrote on OST
and the open space of our lives?

I would like to extend an invitation to anybody who cares to to explore this
book together.

I'd like to convene a "Spirit" discussion group. I see us gathering by
conference call once a month sharing our (new) questions, insights,
challenges as we go through this book.

If interested, drop me a line offline.
You can find the book at http://www.openspaceworld.com/Spirit.pdf

Warmly,