The perfect follow-up

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Thu Feb 1 09:12:32 PST 2007

On Tuesday I opened two days of space for Agile Open Northwest 2007,
a new all-open space conference for people involved in developing
software using a group of methods and approaches called "Agile." From
the comments I heard during the OS and in the closing circle,
everyone had a lovely, energizing and satisfying time. I did too,
except I belong to the Agile community and, as space holder, couldn't/
didn't attend any of the luscious sessions everyone else proposed.

So, I fully experienced the rationale behind the suggestion that we
don't hold space for our own communities and organizations. I
_really_ wanted to attend some of the sessions. (e.g., a view of
organizational change through Dr. Suess' "Green Eggs & Ham"...oh
mama!...on popular demand, the host offered it twice!) And, I was
involved full-time as a space holder, question bouncer ("I
understand...and what would you like to have happen about that?"),
facilities liaison, picker-upper, tea sipper, etc., etc. I laughed as
I re-read Ralph's list of things to do while holding space. What do I
do? Among things already mentioned, I read this list. I also felt
like a flower as the butterflies would flit over to me, land, say a
few words, and fly away again.

And, I have received the perfect gift to follow my space-holding
experience. The opportunity to attend another open space tomorrow as
a participant! Thank you, Brendan, Ted and other organizers of
RecentChanges Camp! You have perfect timing for me. I look forward to
sitting in sessions with more of "my people," geeks and community
builders. :-)

Diana

Diana Larsen
503-288-3550 www.futureworksconsulting.com
co-author, "Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great!"
Amazon Best Books of 2006
Top Ten Editors' Picks:  computer & internet
http://tinyurl.com/ynacvb