Stopped in your tracks (was OS in Research)

Allison Hewlitt ahewlitt at bellanet.org
Fri Dec 14 20:14:15 PST 2007

Hi Raffi

> And especially impressed about how you were able to move ahead with the OST
> meeting after being "stopped in your tracks."

This has happened to me on more than one occasion even during this
event. The third day was April Fools. A senior manager decided to play a
prank - to inform the group that an executive decision had been made
close the program. Needless to say, we were all stopped in our tracks.

> I'm curious, what specifically worked in your instance to get the space open
> quickly after the scientist raised the objection?

Hmmm. Good question. I don't know if we opened the space quickly after
the objection or if the space slowly opened during the day as people
began to talk with and listen to each other.

I do recall my co-facilitator inviting the group to make the call - to
try something new and different, a methodology that had proven to work
with other groups around the world - or to stick to the regular routine.
   Something along the lines of if they chose to try something new, they
would have to find a way to trust each other and the process but as
facilitators, we would be willing to support the direction that they
chose. I can't remember a clear, verbal response either way but in the
end, the decision was made to move on and try something new.

Best
Allison

--

Allison Hewlitt