OS for research planning

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Wed Dec 12 08:23:00 PST 2007

Bo -- there have been a number of instances which parallel your situation, I
think. One of the last ones I was involved with concerned a major
pharmaceutical company, and the objective was the creation of their 5 year
research plan. It was very much a standard Open Space in which 400 research
scientists named their issues and opportunities and went to work. 2 1/2 days
later they had The Plan. Of course it wasn't fully footnote all done up with
bullet points, but those cosmetics were added quickly. There have also been
instances which were much more action oriented -- which is to say that the
concern was not just to plan, but actually "do" the science -- or at least
get a good start on it. One I remember particularly involved Dupont and the
re-design of the manufacturing process for Dacron. 175 polymer chemists sat
in a circle, created a bulletin board and went to work. It must have done
something useful as Dacron is still very much a part of the Dupont product
line.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the