Help! I need a couple of good stories

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Fri Dec 7 21:06:25 PST 2007

Hi Michael,

Just read your request.  I've got a story that came to mind.  I'm not sure its relevant, but wanted to share it in case it is of service.

When I did the OS with 2,100 people in Colombia - 1,800 street kids and 300 teachers - there was a potential for violence that I only learned of during the event.  On the first day, we observed many sessions in which teachers were in the front controlling the sessions.  There were too many sessions and we were too spread out to try to change the situation in more than minimal ways that day.  So we invited the teachers to convene on the second morning before the kids returned to find out what was going on.   Though we wanted to just tell the teachers to get out of the way, we decided that rather than doing to them what they were doing to the kids -- telling them to what to do  -- we'd ask them how the OS was going for them.  They told us that it was their experience that if the kids weren't kept in very structured situations, they got violent.  In fact, the teachers told us that it has highly likely that all of the kids were carrying either a gun or a knife and wouldn't hesitate to use them.  After hearing this, we reminded the teachers of how we had framed the Law of Two Feet: "take responsibility for what you love".  We pointed out that the idea of taking responsibility for what they loved had surfaced as a theme among the kids in virtually every session.  We encouraged the teachers to give the kids a chance to practice that discipline.  If they REALLY felt they had to intervene, to do it by asking a question.  They reluctantly agreed.

One teacher told us sometime during day two that she walked into a room where kids were playing cards.  She said she remembered our suggestion about questions and rather than telling the kids to get to work, she asked if they needed anything.  They told her that they were doing just fine, taking a break in their work.  They did as they said - finished their game and got back to work.  The teacher found herself rethinking how she worked with them.

So, apparently the potential for violence was present throughout the gathering because that was the way the kids often dealt with their issues.  During the OS, not only was there no sign of violence, but I observed them treating every encounter with great respect.

from an airplane between Chicago and Seattle,
Peggy

________________________________
Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
(425) 746-6274

www.opencirclecompany.com

For the new edition of The Change Handbook,
go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger

Indigenous - intractable issue