FW: The challenge of "luminaries"

Deborah Hartmann deborah at hartmann.net
Wed Aug 22 09:10:15 PDT 2007

Tangentially related to the subject of "luminaries": some reflections.

At RoCoCoCamp I learned a new word. Wiki people talk about their world
as a "do-ocracy". Isn't that lovely?

In Open Space, the event is created by what we choose to do. The
"do-ocracy" reveals the true luminaries - by the way they speak, or
remain judiciously silent, or hold space or make us laugh.

Before the event, there may be perceived (self-perceived?) luminaries
and "the rest of us" but the circle says: let's start from scratch here
(Oh! Scary! What about all my hard-won credibility? reputation?
respect?) The do-ocracy requires that we be our best selves today - the
baggage or awards of yesterday are set aside for a time.

I think that after an Open Space we have a different idea of who
"radiates light" - the true luminaries. I'd expect that some of these
would happen to be those we thought of as luminaries before the event.
But after an Open Space event, I'd also expect that the prior luminaries
now have a whole new view of who is important in their community!

High profile, intuitive people with something to hide (insecurities,
say) could balk at Open Space, and may need a little hand holding. In
fact, they may be more vulnerable than others - they feel they have a
lot at stake. I see spending a little extra time with them as helpful
facilitation... Opening Space for them may take a little extra work.
Just because we are all *equal* in Open Space certainly doesn't imply we
are all the same! lol

Let's remind them how much there is to for them to share - and to learn!
And Open Space also includes the option to leave any time... this may be
all they need to know? They may be thrilled, even relieved, when they
discover the do-ocracy. It can be lonely at the top, and here is a new
company of passionate peers! Or they may not be ready and may run.
Whatever happens... :-)