Facilitator must be part of the conversations

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Wed Aug 1 23:53:35 PDT 2007

Mark...my friend.

This is a lovely addition to this thread, deeply thought through and taking
me to another level, by which I mean that you have opened up the
conversation to what is "under the hood" as we sometimes say in North
America.  These pieces of the practice of "fields work" are what I have been
trying to live with for a number of years.  I think there really is
something to the idea that in living in open space, the practice of
"facilitating" open space changes.   Our friend Anne Stadler seems on to
this.  At some point the practice of "facilitating" open space disappears
and there is something about being present in the event that crops up.
Working in Open Space as an extension of living in Open Space, with a deep
integrity.

It allows me to serve the group in many ways, including many of the
modalities which I have seen written about in this thread: as aloof space
holder, as champion of the sponsor's trust, as involved participant,
alighting butterfly, busy-making beaver...all of it holds integrity if I am
approaching the role as an extension of my life.

This is the gift that Open Space has given me over the past 10 years or so
-  a deep life practice that is informed by trust, love, courage, and
teaching and learning that comes from self-organizing and being present in
living systems.  Once we realize that all spaces are, to some extent, open
spaces, we become dwellers of open space, as Jeff Aitken says, wayfinders
across open space, being of service where we can and in whatever way seems
important.

I'm appreciating Doug's question and the clarity as expressed by Lisa and
Elwin and Kerry and Harrison and others in the myriad interpretations of the
question.  Thank you all...

Chris

On 8/1/07, Mark R. Jones <mark.r.jones at sunyata.ws> wrote:

> Hmmmm . . .
>
> With regards to the generally accepted role of the OST "Facilitator"
> -- I essentially agree that Lisa provides an accurate interpretation.
>
> And that is why I rarely "facilitate" OST anymore.
>
> My issue is with the concept of "facilitator".  Originally, to facilitate
> meant to make something easier -- from the Latin facilis or fac(ere)
> "to do or make" + -ilis  "easier".  So in its simplest expression,
> I could as a facilitator make things easier by: sharing knowledge; or
> increasing the ease of performance of any action or state of being; or
> assisting individuals or groups in accomplishing their objectives through
> conversations on particular topics; or actively participating in engaging
> and involving others in accomplishing objectives.
>
> In the OD world, a facilitator is "someone who skillfully helps a group
> of people understand their common objectives and plan to achieve them
> without personally taking any side of the argument. The facilitator
> assists
> the group in achieving a consensus on any disagreements that preexist or
> emerge in the meeting so that it has a strong basis for future action".
>
> In my past experiences with OST, "without personally taking any side of
> the argument" came to mean -- being a "space-holder" and not being a
> "participant".
>
> When I do this from a "Living in Open Space" perspective, this becomes
> an instance of a Separation Fallacy.  The Separation Fallacy supposes that
>
> it is possible and/or desirable for me to view myself as distinct from the
>
> systems of relationships and dynamics that I engage (observer, "witness",
> act in or upon, hold space for, . . . ).  This calls for me as a
> facilitator to be
> "independent" of the other participants -- a proposition which for me is a
>
> physical and meta-physical impossibility.
>
> My friend Charlie Johnston would call this experience "differentiation
> without integration".
>
> From a "Living in Open Space" perspective, I am always "holding space"
> and always full-on participating in every interaction with others and the
> environment -- be it in one-to-one, one-to-many, or many-to-many
> relationship dynamics.  As an archetypical "Butterfly", I am very aware
> that my "Presence" creates a response in the field -- whether I am
> speaking, sleeping, napping, quacking, etc.
>
> So for me, the questions are not about whether I exert undue (and
> negative)
> influence in a context -- but how I exercise my "Presence" and leadership
> in
> any situation (any context).
>
> Is the impact of my views, intentions, communications, and behaviors an
> "opening of space" with and for myself and others -- or is the result a
> "closing
> of space"?  Do I need to modify my being and doing?
>
> As a result of my "Presence" and leadership -- does the leadership and
> [...]

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Principal, Harvest Moon Consultants, Ltd.
http://www.harvestmoonconsultants.com