Community Weaving workshop, September 21-22, Seattle

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Mon Aug 13 18:33:20 PDT 2007

Dear friends and colleagues,

This workshop might be of interest. Cheryl Honey, originator of Community
Weaving, first showed up on the list a few years back and shared about her
work. This approach to community building draws on a number of approaches,
including OST, AI, Asset-based Community Development.

It was featured in the 2nd edition of the Change Handbook.

I look forward to being there! Please pass on the info.

Best,
Raffi

COMMUNITY WEAVING WORKSHOP

September 20 & 21, 2007
9am - 5pm
2100 Building
Board Room
2100 24th Ave. So.
Seattle, WA
www.communityweaving.org/registration.htm

                                        2007 Jefferson Award Recipient

Community Weaving is a community building approach that increases community
capacity and social capital by engaging people as "Good Neighbors" who pool
resources, network with one another and co-create initiatives for the common
good of the community.

As a Community Weaver, you will learn how to grow Family Support Networks in
schools, churches, neighborhoods, associations and corporations within your
community to increase productivity and tap innovation to solve problems. You
will gain insight into transformative community building theories that
sparks a village effect within communities enabling people to make their
unique contributions to benefit the whole community. All the tools,
techniques, and web-based technology is provided to implement Community
Weaving to empower families toward self-sufficiency by giving them access to
a treasury of resources.  You'll be amazed at how easy it is to engage,
train and mobilize a grass roots social support system that serves as a
safety net for families, fosters social capital and functions
interdependently with formal systems to improve the health and welfare of
whole communities from the inside out.

Register early to guarantee your space and pass the word along to your
colleagues and friends.

Note: If you'd prefer to start Community Weaving in your community by
hosting a training, email CWTinquiry at communityweaving.org and we'll send you
all the details.

Cheryl Honey, Pioneer of Community Weaving and Founder, Family Support
Network, International

Cheryl Honey is the pioneer of Community Weaving practices and contributing
author to The Change Handbook (2nd Ed).  She founded the Family Support
Network, International (FSNI), a non-profit organization, in 1993 as a
welfare mother with the belief that people didn't need fixing...they needed
to be connected! She has trained and certified over 400 Community Weavers
and Family Advocates who are respected leaders and change agents in their
communities. Cheryl graduated from Antioch University Seattle. She received
the Washington State 2007 Jefferson Award (nobel prize for public service),
the Giraffe Award for sticking her neck out in 1996 and was presented with
the Ambassador of Peace and Excellence in Leadership Awards from the
International and Interreligious Federation for World Peace. The ABCD
Institute and Institute for Civil Society have recognized the Family Support
Network model as an exemplary approach to capacity building. Cheryl is an
author, speaker and musician and resides with her family in Bothell, Washington.
 Free & Easy Access to Resources!

Participants learn how to pool and tap an abundance of grassroots resources
using free web-based technology to create a safetynet for families. The new
www.familynetwork.org enables people to be good neighbors and support one
another to build and bridge social capital across community sectors.

Free open source technology!

·    Pool and map strengths and assets

·    Interconnect group members together

·    Conduct searches using multiple criteria

·    Find volunteers willing to share knowledge and resources

·    Build the capacity of your group

·    Post activities to calendar

·    Organize community initiatives

·    Access “How to’s” to replicate great ideas

·    Publish Activity Reports

·    Publish Resource Directories

FSN volunteer, Max Stalnaker and Cheryl Honey developed the web-based
technology to enable individuals and groups to share resources, establish
Group ID's, locate resources,  organize activities, spearhead initiatives
and publish resource directories. This technology is free and has flexible
applications for connecting members of groups, associations, neighborhoods,
churches, and schools together.

Registration :
$250
(scholarships available)
(Includes certification & materials)
www.communityweaving.org/registration.htm

Scholarships available
Email scholarships at familynetwork.org  with your scholarship request
(No one will be turned away due to financial constraints!)

For more information:
206.240.2241
wecare at familynetwork.org

Family Support Network
www.familynetwork.org

Community Weaving
www.communityweaving.org

"The more resourceful we are among ourselves, the more valuable a resource
we become to our families, our communities and our world."

Please post and distribute to your colleages, families and friends. We do
our best to update our list and comply with your requests. Simply send email
with unsubscribe in the subject line if you do not wish to receive these
announcements in the future. We are currently recruiting trainers who speak
Spanish, Russian and French to meet the growing demand to implement
Community Weaving practices around the world. Send email to
trainers at communityweaving.org to receive more information.