Mutli-LIngual and non-primary Language Open space

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 15:17:24 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/25/07 2:25:12 PM, kaliya at mac.com writes:

> The people I am working with have said some what in jest but none-the-
> less say. They think the event for all of English speaking folks
> should happen in Japanese to prove how it 'doesn't work' if you are
> not a good speaker of what ever language it is happening in.

Considering how many meetings happen all over the world, every day, with many
people participating via translations, this strikes me as a foolish
statement, even if said in jest.   Yes, you lose some of what happens.   But I have
participated in meetings held in Spanish, Dutch, Russian and Japanese, and found
them to be rich experiences.   And you certainly could open space in Japanese,
with translators, if that were needed.   Since people are self-organizing and
lead the breakout sessions, it is easier than a conventional meeting with
more than one language.

Joelle