Imposed Structure, Self-Organisation, Ritual

Andrew Ballance andrew_ballance at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 15:35:15 PDT 2007

Wow, I love where this discussion has gone. I really appreciated Tania's story said about how spirit is preserved outside of the ritual space... in the ongoing story of a system.

In these last two posts, I have been prompted to reflect on this polarity/interaction/tension between what Harrison calls Mythos and Spirit. If Mythos is ritual and myth, then these to me are mechanisms for ensuring the continuation of Spirit. Myth is story, and story is a part of culture (I lean towards this definition of culture: "the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another"). Also if Ritual is a set of steps used to recreate Myth, or to act congruently with Myth then...
Mythos is a way of ensuring that a particular Spirit is preserved. Mythos is the making of something. Whereas Spirit is the being of something.

It strikes me that in some of our work we (as external agents, disturbing an existing system) when we use something like OST, we are creating a space and tone in which new Mythos can emerge. We do this consciously. It is very much like the interaction that cognitive behavioural therapy recognises between doing and feeling. If you do something often enough, not only does it evoke a particular mood in the momet, but also generates a longer term perceptual shift - as well as (the more recognised) vice versa.

In this way, through providing a space in which new ritual and myth can occur, through providing an empty space that can be filled with whatever is in the room, through modelling ritual, we move the system into a behaviour where it identifies its Spirit. Well, that's the way I see it. That's just whacky me, I'm sure!! :)