Imposed Structure, Self-Organisation, Ritual

Scott Willard revscott_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 10:42:26 PDT 2007

One thing that I would add to the definition of ritual is that ritual is all about spirit.  I just finished reading The Healing Wisdom of Africa- great book.  I believe it was by P.M. Some' and he states very clearly that ritual is an opportunity for spirit to impact the lives of the observant.  To me, that's what happens in OST.  One idea sparks the room and the market place, conversations, evening news act as litany that welcomes the spirit of unity and community to emerge.

Writing this, I wonder about what happens after folks leave the room.  While in the ritual space of OST a pseudo community is formed.  Do folks have experience in fostering community once the meeting is closed and folks go back to their homes?  I see the meetings that happen all over the world, where folks go back time after time for OS on OS, but what about smaller scale scenario's?

Scott Willard
Affinity Consulting Group
affinity-scottwillard.com