Tuning the bass note: a story from an organization using Open Space in an ongoing way.

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Apr 22 05:00:33 PDT 2007

Chris My, Friend  -- Bass Note. I like it! And to me it is more of a
thrummm. . .  those deep, practically inaudible, complex vibrations that
hold everything together. The double basses and cellos in a symphony
orchestra playing in their lowest registers, while flutes and violins do
their thing. But take away those basses and it all falls apart.

If you have to name it in an organization maybe something like: Spirit,
Organizational Consciousness, the informal organization - or
self-organization at work. I suspect that real organizational break through
(and wisdom) will arrive when it is clearly understood that the "thrummm,"
by whatever name, is NOT an incidental, but rather the essential core
without which everything else in the organization lacks substance.

Getting to this point may not be easy, if only because there is a massive
amount of tradition which says that The Organization is what we organize.
That is what it says in all the management books, what they (generally)
teach in business schools, and of course - the message of the conventional
wisdom. We all KNOW that The Organization is what the CEO runs. It was
designed by somebody, or several somebodies, it is described by the
organization chart, and managed by The Plan/Budget. Acknowledging the
"thrummm" turns all of that on its head. What we have assumed to be primary
(the formal organization) is in fact (I believe) just a little piece of
flotsam and jetsam floating on the great ocean of Thrummm. Well if you are
going to be a heretic, you might as well be a little poetic - or at least
try.

When the formal organization is in accord/aligned with the Thrummm
(informal/self-organizing system), everything works out pretty good. When
there is a disconnect, the formal organization becomes trivial, ineffective,
and essentially powerless. And I think you are absolutely right - Open Space
gives us the opportunity to listen to the thrummm - and thereby reconnect to
our deep rhythms. So Chris - your CEO may think what he is doing (allowing
for some open space) is sort of an add-on, a little something extra that
would be nice to do. I don't think so. I think it is the most important
thing he/she will ever do.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html