AW: climate-neutral flights and drives!

Jon Harvey only.connect at virgin.net
Wed Apr 11 15:50:13 PDT 2007

Catherine

No - I did not think your posting was a hoax. My response was whimsical
(perhaps to lighten the mood a little on this listserv at the moment...
the website I recommended - which I parenthesised - is a real spoof
website that is quite funny).

But I do think there is a serious point here as well (which lies behind
the spoof website too) as to whether carbon offsetting is an effective
response to global warming.

To quote wikipedia which highlights the views of a fellow Oxford
resident - George Monbiot:

"Many environmentalists disagree with the principle of carbon offsets.
George Monbiot </wiki/George_Monbiot>, an English environmentalist and
writer, has compared carbon offsets to the practice of purchasing
Indulgences </wiki/Indulgence> during the Middle Ages, whereby people
with money could purchase forgiveness for their sins (instead of
actually repenting and not sinning anymore). Monbiot also says that
carbon offsets are an excuse for business as usual with regards to
pollution.^[15] <#_note-7> To date, no authoritative studies have been
performed concerning offset buyers' behavior (e.g., whether they take
other measures to reduce their CO_2 output.)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_offset

I do have some sympathies with his point of view. And I do appreciate
your commitment to using trains. This is a complex area of ethics and I
am still working out my own standards.

Hope this helps and keeps the space open..

Regards

Jon